Portia Womer, M.P.H. is a Masters Level Clinician at the CBT Center for Anxiety and OCD and a fourth-year Clinical Psychology Psy.D student at the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM). Her clinical interests include the use of exposure-based therapies for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). In addition to her work at the CBT Center for Anxiety and OCD, Portia is competing a Doctoral Practicum at UPenn’s Center for Cognitive Therapy and UPenn’s Center for the Treatment and Study of Anxiety where she provides exposure-based therapies. She has completed a Practicum at Nemours Children’s Health System where she provided CBT for OCD, trauma, GAD, Separation Anxiety Disorder, depression, ADHD and sleep difficulties. Portia has completed a Practicum at A.J. Drexel Autism Institute in their early detection and intervention department.
At the CBT Center for Anxiety and OCD, Portia provides Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) for OCD, Prolonged Exposure (PE) for PTSD, and Cognitive Behavior Therapy for types all anxiety disorders. Portia has significant experience and enjoys providing therapy for adults, adolescents and children.
In addition to her clinical work, Portia conducts research that will be used to develop a CBT treatment manual for Opioid Use Disorder, which was recently published in The Journal of Clinical Psychology. Portia is an Adjunct Instructor at Temple University where she teaches Advanced Psychological Research Seminar and Critical Thinking in Psychology.
Portia believes that patients are experts in their own life experiences and emotional difficulties. She supports patients in becoming their own “therapist” by promoting recognition and restructuring of unhelpful thoughts and behaviors. Portia is warm and compassionate and approaches therapy in a non-judgmental, open-minded manner. In her free time Portia enjoys running, hiking and cooking.
- Psy.D in Clinical Psychology, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Expected 2023)
- M.P.H. in Community Health and Prevention, Drexel University
- B.A. in Social Psychology, The College of New Jersey
- Externship: University of Pennsylvania Center for the Treatment and Study of Anxiety, Philadelphia, PA
- Externship: University of Pennsylvania Center for Cognitive Therapy, Philadelphia, PA
- Externship: Nemours Children’s Health System, Middletown, DE
- Practicum: A.J. Drexel Autism Institute, Philadelphia, PA