Dr. Steve Bisgaier is a Licensed Psychologist at the CBT Center for Anxiety & OCD. He received his Doctorate from Widener University’s Institute for Graduate Clinical Psychology where he specialized in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). He is President of the Pennsylvania Chapter of the Association for Contextual Behavioral Science. Dr. Bisgaier received formal post-graduate training in CBT for Anxiety at the Beck Institute and Exposure and Response Prevention Therapy (ERP) for OCD at the Center for the Treatment and Study of Anxiety, University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Bisgaier is Board Certified in the use of Biofeedback.
Dr. Bisgaier has presented professionally on numerous topics, including the treatment of anxiety, depression, OCD, suicidality, and perfectionism, and has developed a mindfulness program for anxiety as well as a clinical self-compassion program. Additionally, Steve designed and implemented a pilot research study demonstrating the effectiveness of ACT as a treatment for college students suffering with perfectionism.
Steve believes a therapeutic relationship built on genuine respect, warmth and empathy provides the foundation for healing and change in therapy. He works from a perspective that recognizes that being human is difficult and that living in this world is a challenging process even in the best of times. He recognizes that many of our symptoms and struggles are the product of normal, innate attempts to deal with the stress, discomfort and pain in our lives. Steve believes in the potential of all people to thrive and has helped people suffering with the full range of psychological issues (including anxiety, depression, OCD, trauma, and substance abuse) find satisfaction, meaning and fulfillment in their lives.
- Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology, Widener University’s Institute for Graduate Clinical Psychology, Chester, PA
- M.S. in Clinical Psychology, Widener University’s Institute for Graduate Clinical Psychology, Chester, PA
- B.A. in Economics (Mathematics minor), Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT
- Postdoctoral Fellowship: CBT Center for Anxiety & OCD, Media, PA
- Predoctoral Internship: Center for Integrative Medicine, Widener IGCP Internship Program, Sharon Hill, PA
- Externship: La Salle University Counseling Center, Philadelphia, PA
- Externship: CBT Center for Anxiety & OCD, Media, PA
- Externship: Neuroscience and Surgical Institute of Delaware, Newark, DE
- Externship: Hoffman Hall Correctional Facility, Community Education Centers, Philadelphia, PA